Julio Diaz has a daily routine. Every night, the 31-year-old social worker ends his hour-long subway commute to the Bronx one stop early, just so he can eat at his favorite diner.
But one night last month, as Diaz stepped off the No. 6 train and onto a nearly empty platform, his evening took an unexpected turn.
He was walking toward the stairs when a teenage boy approached and pulled out a knife.
“He wants my money, so I just gave him my wallet and told him, ‘Here you go,’” Diaz says.
As the teen began to walk away, Diaz told him, “Hey, wait a minute. You forgot something. If you’re going to be robbing people for the rest of the night, you might as well take my coat to keep you warm.”
The would-be robber looked at his would-be victim, “like what’s going on here?” Diaz says. “He asked me, ‘Why are you doing this?’”
Diaz replied: “If you’re willing to risk your freedom for a few dollars, then I guess you must really need the money. I mean, all I wanted to do was get dinner and if you really want to join me … hey, you’re more than welcome.
“You know, I just felt maybe he really needs help,” Diaz says.
Diaz says he and the teen went into the diner and sat in a booth.
“The manager comes by, the dishwashers come by, the waiters come by to say hi,” Diaz says. “The kid was like, ‘You know everybody here. Do you own this place?’”
“No, I just eat here a lot,” Diaz says he told the teen. “He says, ‘But you’re even nice to the dishwasher.’”
Diaz replied, “Well, haven’t you been taught you should be nice to everybody?”
“Yea, but I didn’t think people actually behaved that way,” the teen said.
Diaz asked him what he wanted out of life. “He just had almost a sad face,” Diaz says.
The teen couldn’t answer Diaz — or he didn’t want to.
When the bill arrived, Diaz told the teen, “Look, I guess you’re going to have to pay for this bill ‘cause you have my money and I can’t pay for this. So if you give me my wallet back, I’ll gladly treat you.”
The teen “didn’t even think about it” and returned the wallet, Diaz says. “I gave him $20 … I figure maybe it’ll help him. I don’t know.”
Diaz says he asked for something in return — the teen’s knife — “and he gave it to me.”
Afterward, when Diaz told his mother what happened, she said, “You’re the type of kid that if someone asked you for the time, you gave them your watch.”
“I figure, you know, if you treat people right, you can only hope that they treat you right. It’s as simple as it gets in this complicated world.”
FAITH IN HUMANITY RESTORED
ALL THE SLOW CLAPS GO TO YOU
My god, a social worker who hasn’t lost their way in it all. Bless.
FOUR FOR YOU.
Original poster: girlthrualookingglass
- definitionofgenius reblogged this from autobot42
- tinkered-apple likes this
- blue--oceanfloor reblogged this from scarletendurer
- hydrabrain likes this
- writingrooibos likes this
- a-tiny reblogged this from theetrill
- theetrill reblogged this from sweetlifegonedown
- skifflequeen likes this
- mercurymacca reblogged this from occamsphaser
- occamsphaser reblogged this from scarletendurer
- scarletendurer reblogged this from ask-sage-and-alan
- ask-sage-and-alan reblogged this from windmillzp
- highlandthinkr reblogged this from notwally and added:
- highlandthinkr likes this
- librofiend likes this
- unfollowdashboard likes this
- stacearoo reblogged this from sasuinurpants
- loboluchia reblogged this from girlthrualookingglass
- loboluchia likes this
- revise-refine-refind-me reblogged this from nerdychronicles
- kaityhutcherson reblogged this from listeninghere
- novendecim likes this
- listeninghere reblogged this from my-depressed-thoughts
- challengeddino likes this
- challengeddino reblogged this from its-a-nguyen-nguyen-situation
- its-a-nguyen-nguyen-situation reblogged this from turbanlicious
- turbanlicious reblogged this from notzidoof
- sillystephi likes this
- fabulositylevel80 reblogged this from dimensionalcucumber
- likeappletrees likes this
- devinadkins21 likes this
- headlessqueen reblogged this from meryletrouble and added:
- lillior reblogged this from ostensibly-shiny
- lillior likes this
- wengcurly likes this
- espressobreak reblogged this from thevirginiabelle
- raissacaselas reblogged this from meryletrouble and added:
- winchest3rlock11 likes this
- winchest3rlock11 reblogged this from ostensibly-shiny
- ostensibly-shiny reblogged this from meryletrouble
- meryletrouble reblogged this from mentalalchemy
- anodditea likes this
- blowntooblivion reblogged this from insaneissues
- beffers247 likes this
- insaneissues reblogged this from eazyy-a
- biersackbabe4ever reblogged this from f-ilthykisses
- katlin5683 likes this
- earthserpent reblogged this from he-who-worships
- pearlslaceandroses reblogged this from mello-dramatic
- devilsarmyofangels likes this